Become A Texas ProStart® Mentor
TRA members have the opportunity to create a lasting impact on a student while contributing to the future of Texas foodservice industry as a mentor.
Mentors help students make the connection between classroom learning and job performance. They provide support for student goals, career competence and character development by acting as a teacher, supervisor, coach, counselor and role model. Mentors help create a high-quality labor pool and develop our industry’s future leaders.
The Texas ProStart mentor program is very flexible, there is no set schedule. You choose the school where you would like to mentor. With 215 Texas ProStart high schools around the state, there is bound to be one near you!
Texas ProStart educators come from a variety of backgrounds, some are family & consumer sciences instructors and others are chefs who transitioned from industry to the classroom. They all see first-hand the positive impact Texas ProStart has and understand the importance of introducing their students to real-world, industry-based experiences.
Any time you can volunteer as a mentor is most appreciated. Customize your commitment to fit your interests, availability and expertise!
- Visit your local school regularly to build relationships with students and instructors
- Support culinary and management teams preparing for the Texas ProStart Invitational competition
- Attend school advisory board meetings
- Assist instructors by presenting in the classroom, sharing real-world experience and information
- Help coordinate industry-related field trips
- Assist with classroom needs such as product and equipment
- Consider hiring Texas ProStart students for part-time, seasonal or event/catering work
- Provide internship opportunities
To get started and become a Texas ProStart mentor, contact Susan Petty, Texas ProStart Coordinator.