Become A Texas ProStart® Mentor
TRA members have the opportunity to create a lasting impact on a student while contributing to the future of Texas foodservice industry as a mentor.
Mentors help students make the connection between classroom learning and job performance. They provide support for student goals, career competence and character development by acting as a teacher, supervisor, coach, counselor and role model. Mentors help create a high-quality labor pool and develop our industry’s future leaders.
The Texas ProStart mentor program is very flexible, there is no set schedule. You choose the school where you would like to mentor. With 275 Texas ProStart high schools around the state, there is bound to be one near you! Click here for a list of Texas ProStart schools.
Texas ProStart educators come from a variety of backgrounds, some are family & consumer sciences instructors and others are chefs who transitioned from industry to the classroom. They all see first-hand the positive impact Texas ProStart has and understand the importance of introducing their students to real-world, industry-based experiences.
Any time you can volunteer as a mentor is most appreciated. Customize your commitment to fit your interests, availability and expertise!
- Visit your local school regularly to build relationships with students and instructors
- Support culinary and management teams preparing for the Texas ProStart Invitational competition
- Attend school advisory board meetings
- Assist instructors by presenting in the classroom, sharing real-world experience and information
- Help coordinate industry-related field trips
- Assist with classroom needs such as product and equipment
- Consider hiring Texas ProStart students for part-time, seasonal or event/catering work
- Provide internship opportunities
Mentor Forms & Tools
- Join the mentor database Use this online form to be added to the mentor database. Our staff will work to put you in contact with a Texas ProStart school in your area.
- On-Site Mentor Form Use this form to keep track of pertinent information on your initial visit with the Texas ProStart instructor.
- Mentoring Sheet Use this form to track all school and/or site visits you conduct with local Texas ProStart schools.
- Download ProStart Mentor Fact Sheet.
Are you a member of a TRA Chapter? Check out our guide on hosting a Teacher Roundtable.
Texas ProStart is a two-year, industry-based culinary and restaurant management curriculum developed and supported by the Texas Restaurant Association Education Foundation (TRAEF). TRAEF programs support educational opportunities for restaurant careers in Texas. Your contributions benefit not only talented and dedicated students, but also the restaurant and hospitality industry as a whole. There are many ways to get involved.
Get involved nationally here: http://www.chooserestaurants.org/Industry-Involvement